Apple Crumb Pie
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 5 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 3 3/4 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 10 medium), peeled, cored, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Mix flour and salt in processor. Add butter and shortening; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drizzle 2 tablespoons ice water over. Process until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic. Chill 1 hour.
Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 14-inch round. Transfer dough to 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Fold overhang under. Crimp edges decoratively. Pierce bottom of crust all over with fork. Freeze crust 15 minutes. DO AHEAD Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep frozen.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line crust with aluminum foil. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 minutes. Remove weights and foil. Bake until golden and set, about 10 minutes longer. Cool.
Toss apples and lemon juice in medium bowl. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Add apples; sauté until coated with cinnamon butter and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk cider and cornstarch in small bowl. Add to apples. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Transfer apple mixture to large bowl. Mix in applesauce. Cool completely. DO AHEAD Crust and filling can be made 1 day ahead. Cover crust; let stand at room temperature. Cover and chill filling.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Using fingertips, rub all ingredients in bowl until moist clumps form.
Place filling in crust. Sprinkle topping over apples. Bake until topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes.